Snap Shots(5 mins)
Beat the Mouse
A word recognition game that helps students spell and recognise particular words.
- Word recognition
- Whiteboard marker
Aim of the game:
- To guess the mystery word before the mouse is drawn completely (Like Hangman)
How to Play:
- The teacher thinks of a word and draws the amount of letters on the board (eg _ _ _ _ _ _)
- The students take turns guessing a letter that is in the word, if it is correct the teacher writes the letter in its place. If it is wrong the teacher writes it separately on the board and draws a part of the mouse (Body, tail, head, legs, wiskers, eyes)
- The students need to guess the word before the mouse is drawn completely.
- Once a student guesses it correctly either the teacher can think of another word or that student can have a turn thinking of a word.
This game is just a friendlier version of hangman for the classroom. Depending on how hard the word is you can extend the drawing of the mouse like draw each leg on separately or draw a hat or glasses.